Will my Auto Insurance extend to cover me in a Rental Car?

The short answer is: Yes. The coverages that you have on your auto policy will extend to a rental car unless-

  • You are renting a large truck like a Uhaul.
  • You are renting the vehicle outside the US or Canada
  • You do not currently have Comprehensive and Collision coverage on your Auto Insurance Policy.

If none of these apply, then the next question is Should I still buy the rental car company’s insurance they are trying to sell me?

While that is a personal choice, we generally suggest that you do for two reasons-

  • If you get into an accident and have to report it on your own insurance policy, it will go on your record and can affect your rate at renewal.
  • Rental car companies will often charge you for the time their vehicle is out of commission which your insurance company may or may not pay for.

How can we help you today?